Artist Story > Hello Paper Co.

 
When I stumble upon letterpress cards that are ultra gorgeous and environmentally friendly I feel as though I’ve hit the jackpot. Jill of Hello Paper Co. makes stationery that’s just that. Super rad designs plus tree-free cotton paper makes writing letters a dream! 

Side note > I totally cut, folded + glued the killer hearts and stripe-y wrapping paper into envelopes! Just the thing for when you want a really simple, at-home craft project.


Here’s some insight into Hello Paper Co.’s story >

Where do you live?

I live in Logan Square, a northwest neighborhood of Chicago.

How did you start Hello Paper Co.?

My love of letterpress and paper started while studying art at Washington University in St. Louis. I've had several 9-5 design jobs since then, from working at magazines to small start ups, but I began to take on more and more freelance letterpress projects on the side. I decided I wanted to focus on paper goods and printmaking as my full-time career, so I launched Hello Paper Co. about a year ago.


What are you reading?

I just finished The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil by George Saunders. He writes some of my favorite satires and short stories.

Where did you last travel?

Recently most of my traveling has been as a wedding guest. Last year alone I went to Seattle, Portland, LA, Brooklyn, Boston, and Charleston for wedding-related trips.


What are your influences/inspiration?

I love drawing plants, but since I live in a city I'm usually inspired by indoor gardens or potted house plants. I also have a weakness for beautifully design ephemera like postcards, coasters, and matchbooks (my apartment is filled with stuff like that).

What is your creative process?

I usually start off by making lists. I have lists all over for ideas of what to make or draw next. Once something has been on a list for awhile and I'm convinced it's a good idea, I start sketching it. Then I draw a more polished version, clean it up on my laptop, and finally turn it into a letterpress plate and hand print it.
 

What do you like to do in your spare time?

Go to movies, ride my bike, spend time with family and friends, and play music. I play the piano and I've been attempting to learn the ukelele.


Find Hello Paper Co. > website instagram facebook

Comments